Take a single piece of wood and transform it into a flat bow using historical designs, then shoot your own hand-crafted arrows on this 4 day course.
On this course you'll:
- Find out about the history of the flat bow going back 11,000 years
- Split the rounds of ash from a felled tree
- Use wood axes, draw knives and spoke shaves to carve the wood
- Learn how to use the tiller to create the arc of the bow
- Prepare and construct the string from dacron
- Harvest and make arrows from hazel branches
- Get lots of target practice!
This course is physically demanding but, rest assured, walking away with your very own bow which will bend and reform over and over again is worth all the blood, sweat and tears!
This is a fully catered course and people are encouraged to camp to immerse themselves in the process. You can bring your own tent or we can provide basic bell tents and beds (these are an additional £50) or you can have luxury accommodation in one of our furnished bell tents. Details here.
My son and I had a wonderfully hard but hugely satisfying bow making course - with thanks to those present and particularly Jamie and Fergus; excellent teachers. I would recommend this course to anyone of any age. My son (26) loved it and as a 63year old with some health issues the support and help for me from Jamie and Fergus was both timely and imperative!! They tell you, show you, let you and coach you. We ended up with two wonderful bows and six arrows that miraculously fly straight and hit the target!! We will be back for the knife making course.