Take a single piece of wood and transform it into a flat bow using historical designs, then shoot your own hand-crafted arrows on this 4 day course.
On this course you'll:
- Find out about the history of the flat bow going back 11,000 years
- Split the rounds of ash from a felled tree
- Use wood axes, draw knives and spoke shaves to carve the wood
- Learn how to use the tiller to create the arc of the bow
- Prepare and construct the string from dacron
- Harvest and make arrows from hazel branches
- Get lots of target practice!
This course is physically demanding but, rest assured, walking away with your very own bow which will bend and reform over and over again is worth all the blood, sweat and tears!
This is a fully catered course and people are encouraged to camp to immerse themselves in the process. You can bring your own tent or we can provide basic bell tents and beds (these are an additional £50) or you can have luxury accommodation in one of our furnished bell tents. Details here.
Excellent course, loads learnt, from splitting down a mighty ash log to forming a flat bow and arrows from Hazel freshly cut. Course took place on an ancient hillfort which is part of The Forge site, glamping type accommodation which is in itself excellent though I brought my own tent. Instructors make the experience, plenty of great banter and good food with the odd beer or two. Learnt so much, pictures speak for themselves!
Pete, North Wales